Mega mega update

Wow. Still here. And coated with a thick layer of virtual dust too. Well, might as well continue updating this site for what it’s worth. 

One year

It’s been more than a year since my transplant. Honestly the day came and went with little drama. But that’s what we wanted. But things aren’t always smooth sailing. I picked up a persistent eye infection sometime at the end of August. I started seeing floaters, the vision was blurry and my eyes were very sensitive to light.

After trying to deny the existence of the floaters (which is pretty difficult when they occupy half of your vision) I made the trek to Moorfields Eye Hospital and was immediately scanned, prodded, looked at and diagnosed. Apparently I have CMV retinitis and it can cause blindness. Luckily for me, the consultant assigned to me has a special interest in retinitis in immunocompromised patients. Unluckily for me, he’s had 10,000 people look into my eye.

Long story short, he thinks that my previous CMV reactivation affected my eyes as well. But since no one looked into my eyes, no one knew. It left some scarring and possibly some remnants of the CMV virus in the eye. So now that my body has recovered to a point where it can fight off the virus and heal the scarring, it’s doing that and the result of which is the floaters and blurred vision.

He then got really excited, since it’s the first time he’s seen something like this, and he can’t recall ever reading about anything like this. So it’s a unique case. Hurray. So I’m given valganciclovir for the CMV and treated like a lab rat. Anyways, a few weeks after that I had a massive eye infection. Valgan murders the my bloodcount so it’s possible that I couldn’t fight off what was a very mild infection. But a dose of Augmentin (co-amoxiclav) sorted that out. But I did look pretty scary for a while.


I was laid off work in July. So I’m freelancing now, which is good, as I make more money, but not so good as I get paid by the day, I don’t get paid when I’m in the hospital for clinic and treatments. But the work’s interesting and good, so far. But I’m looking for permanent work to cater for my days in the clinic and (touch wood) if I’m hospitalised again.

So far it’s been slow going. Naturally the high up you go in the food chain, the less jobs there are. It’s just the nature of the beast. But in the meantime, I’ll plough on working as a freelancer and make as much as I can before taking the next plunge into the world of the permanently employed.


Sophie is 14 months old now. She’s such a joy to be around. She’s speaking (baby speak), calling Mama and Dada, and she’s starting to walk! She can manage to walk a fair distance on her own (albeit a little unsteady). SO many things have happened since I last updated.

We celebrated her first birthday, then had to bring her to the A&E at St Mary’s as she had a 40-degree fever. Scary times. Even scarier was the attempt to put a cannula into her arm! Stronger men have cried harder when their baby cries in pain. Not something I want to hear even again. Luckily for us the fever passed after a day and she’s back to her usual bubbly self.

The wife has also gone back to work (after 14 months), albeit for 4 days a week. Needless to say, she misses Sophie a lot. We leave her with a nanny, one we found after months of searching. Luckily for us, she loves her nanny and the nanny seem to dote on her too. 


We moved to my brother’s place in Norbury, which is just outside Croydon in South London. Croydon was also one of the worst hit areas during the London riots last summer. There’s not really much to say about Norbury other than the fact that it’s very different to Notting Hill. The population there is very ‘working class’, not that there’s anything wrong with that, but it’s very different to what we’re used to.

In West London, carrying a laptop bag to work is like part of your uniform. But in Norbury, it’s a tool box. Sophie’s Bugaboo looks very out of place here. The main problem with Norbury is that there’s no where to go during weekends. The wife and I end up driving back to West London on weekends just for brunch or to get to a playground for Sophie. And it’s an hour each way so we end up spending a lot of time in the car. Not ideal for an active, restless 14-month old.

The good thing is we do save a lot of money. And that I think, will keep us going for a while. 

  1. #1 by Andie on April 6, 2013 - 10:34 pm

    I know Norbury’s kinda “special”, but I’m very glad God brought you here! Vanessa and I can push our bugaboos down the high street together.

  2. #2 by Andie on April 6, 2013 - 10:46 pm

    …also, if your eye infection was pretty unique, is your doctor going to write up? Then you’d have a scientific paper about you! That would be pretty cool, you gotta admit. I’ve got my name on a couple of papers, but I’ve never had one written about me. Although you’d just be “CW” or something. Still- you would know it was you and that would be cool.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: